Widgets

2012, My Manifesto


I’ve never made New Year’s resolutions before.  But because I’ve had to do a lot of soul searching and inner reflection this last year, I feel it necessary to not just resolve, to make changes, but to publicly declare my intentions via my 2012 Manifesto. I think Manifesto sounds fierce and definitely serious as compared to “resolutions.”  So I thought about what needs to change (in/with me), I wrote it down, I’m hanging it up on the wall and (even though it scares the hell out of me) posting it on the Internet.  I present to you my 2012 Manifesto:
I am borrowing the format from the Holstee Manifesto and Aileen’s at Creating Clever. I made mine with Adobe Illustrator, but if you wanted to make one could also use WORD, or you could even get artsy with it and do one by hand. I printed mine on colored parchment paper and plan to frame it, hang one in my home office and one at work. I figure, when I’m out of sorts, feeling a little lost or out of control, I’ll just look at my “2012 Road Map” and make adjustments to get back on course.
I don’t want to change the world (at least not anymore), just my little corner of it. None of these declarations are so unrealistic that I’m setting myself up for failure before I even start.

While I’ve made my personal intentions public, I am keeping some of the measuring indicators private. For instance, no women likes to talk about weight so until I meet my goal or have some real statistical proof, I won’t be writing about it. I feel like everything I want to do with the rest of my life is contingent on being healthier, so weight loss naturally is part of that. But being a woman, I’m not going to tell you how much or say I want to lose 20, 30 or 50 pounds. But I will start going to the gym, everyday. I will remove temptation foods from my house, AND when I lose (my personal goal), I promise to tell you, and show you my horrible before and awesome after photos. I will tell you this, the weight is definitely doable within 6-12 months. I am going to take the AA approach to the weight loss and all my goals: one pound at a time, one day at a time. I already have a small hoorah too: I joined a gym last month and as of today, I’ve been in the gym 8 days out of the last 9!

Writing is catharsis for me and I can tell you that pretty much every one of my goals is fodder for my blog or journal. So I’m pretty excited actually about that too. It makes the “Write More” goal easier.

Finally, as I ‘work on me’ this year, I hope you’ll follow along and hold me accountable for my declarations and if you’ve embarked on a similar journey, I’d love to hear about it and help cheer you on too.

1 comments :

Christina Fajardo said...

Yeah... I love all your 2012 goals! They are mine too!

Post a Comment

Leave me a note here:

AddToAny Share buttons